Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

The High Priest’s room was filled this evening as David and I taught another course of CASP at the Kobrasol chapel. Twelve desks arced the classroom, and only fifteen minutes after the advertised start time of 7 pm, ten of those desks were filled; seven adults, three teenagers, and all eager to participate.

Being our third course in as many weeks, tonight went very smooth; in only three hours (when we had planned for four) we got through half of the course with each of the participants beaming with enthusiasm and bubbling from our practice activities. This is really the best group we’ve taught until now. Maybe part of the reason is each of them is looking for work and has thus come with open and willing minds.

We have tomorrow and Thursday scheduled to finish the course.

After lunch at the usual home-style restaurant down the street, David and I took the bus (the wrong bus, that cost R$3,00 instead of R$1,75) to the Historical Center of São José; once there, we stumbled upon a theatre and took a quick look around.

As I took pictures inside, another man walked in and gave me a weird look; he reappeared with his own camera, tripod, and assistant. Upon further conversations, Marcelo (the guy) told me he was a City’s photographer taking picture for some new brochures they were making. I took advantage of his knowledge and asked where some other nearby historical sites was and he directed us a few places.

First we admired the church facing town-square; nice rooster, eh?

We then visited a nearby spring where slaves would scrub clothes. Slavery was legal in Brazil until May 13, 1888.

Just up the stream, approximately 100 yards away are some modern-day signs of what was done by the slaves some 120 years ago.

The local museum was our next stop, but photographs were prohibited in there; but during our visit, Marcelo (the photographer) showed up to take pictures and when I told him they wouldn’t let me take any, he asked to exchange email addresses so he could send me copies of what he shot. I was surprised; that was awfully nice of him to offer.

A 1945, German film projector used in a leper-only hospital was one of the items that caught my attention. I hope they’ve disinfected it… ? I noted many other interesting artifacts, most of which were imported from the United States or Europe.

Speaking of exchange, the dollar is at a five year low; 1 Real is only worth $2.12. Just to get a sense, I remember during my mission only two years ago that 1 Real was almost worth $4.

No comments: