Saturday, January 14, 2006


Saturday, 14, 11:22 pm

Class today started at 8:00 am, like always. I woke up at 8:05 am when Dave hit my leg, informing me we had slept in. Needless to say, we got ready as quick as we could and ran to the 8 minutes to the church where our training is.

Class today was a good overview of the self-employment workshop and I actually felt a lot better about the program after the review was complete. One of the hardest parts of the program will be translating the workbooks that we have since they are yet to be translated to Portuguese. Other than that, I’m anxious to see the impact these programs will have in Brazil.

At 11:00 or so we had our talent show… ha. Of the 20 people maybe half of us had some sort of a talent. I’ll include pictures of the talents. Here are some of them:
- Mike: tongue puppet

- Stephanie: marriage poem

- Jeff: quarter extravaganza

- Eric: mimicking Lori’s pants dance

- Lori: jacket and pants dance

- Rachel: clogging star

- Ryan A: progressive shake dance; Carlton dance

- Danielle: canciĆ³n and piano

- David L: finger magic, Nintendo piano music
- Jon: two pancakes stuffed in his mouth at the same time

- Stephanie Allen: “Oh The Places You’ll Go”


Nothing else … oh wait… I can’t forget the apple walking. To spice up our walk home from lunch Jeff, Eric, Jon, Jason and I grabbed apples from the lunchroom and invented a more eventful way to walk to the hotel. I guess to get a better idea, just imagine a bunch of little kids running around. Single filed we walked down the road and threw our apples above our head to the person behind us and proceeded to run backwards to the end of the line. It got pretty crazy, let me tell ya.

And here's a movie clip to give an even better visual. www.veggiesandicecream.com/CIMG1900.AVI

Soon after, Jeff and Eric left and we said our goodbyes. They went to Provo for the weekend and won’t be leaving for Brazil until Monday, but Dave and I are leaving tomorrow.

About 3:30pm Scott called me and came over with Amber. They had been in Salt Lake for one of his friend’s weddings at the Salt Lake Temple. He took me out for lunch at Hire’s Big H and then we went to Jenna’s to say hi to the family and I also had to repack my stuff and get a few packages that arrived at her house (my new sports lens for my camera and a book for my Brazilian class). We hung out for a little bit, but Scott and Amber soon left. Kiralee came over and Joshua loved playing with his glow in the dark ball and baseball mit. Jenna drove me back to the hotel about 8:20 pm.

Took a shower to get off the day’s grime. The lack of shower due to waking up late.

Then I went to Danielle and Rachel’s room to get my computer. Danielle and I marked a few parts of the BOM to give to Tyler, the speed skater we had met the other night who asked us lots of questions. Then Jon and his wife, Leah, came by and hung out for a bit, before splitting for bed.

The rest of the visit here in their room, where I’m currently writing, has been hearing their stories (mostly Danielle) bashing guys “and their constant clashing of standards.”

Now I’m going to go read and then I’m off to bed. Tomorrow’s going to be a new adventure.



Quick list of fun/funny memories from the past week. Most authors of the events will remain nameless, but those who were here should know what I’m talking about. If you remember more, please add them to the comments section below:
- “hormones”
- “Is that kinda like a sex education teacher?”
- Jon’s backward blinking
- “hunker down”
- “for crying out loud”
- wake up Koosh attack… eh hem, Jon
- Koosh attack in the eye
- Cheap shots – Knock out

- Leg Wrestling
- Lori’s men
- Jon’s off the wall that hit ‘someone’ in the nuts
- Weight room dance party
- Tape-measure jumping
- Truck bed apple-ing
- Song Game Battle
- Rachel’s face plant in the snow
- “they’re going to fall in love with you”
- koosh attack on Gustavo
- “who bit this apple?”
- Jeff and the pizzaria bathroom
- Pure-Religion napping
- ‘Who’s Line is it Anyway’
- Limbo
- Jeff’s interpretation of Eric’s womanizing defense
- David!
- Jeff’s belly abilities – “but where did all my organs go?”
- Cousin

Feel free to add more.

Oh, and I noticed that earlier I mentioned where all the students from BYU- Provo were going, but I didn’t mention where the BYU-Idaho folks were headed.
- Josh and Jeramy: New Zealand


- Lori and Amanda: Puerto Rico


- Leah and Jon: United Kingdom


- Dan and Ryan: Dominican Republic


The other 12 people I previously named, but I’ll do it again:
- Geoff and David: Florianopolis, Brazil
- Eric and Jeff: Fortaleza, Brazil


- Jason and Kim: Fiji


- Mike and Stephanie: Guatemala

- Danielle and Rachel: Ecuador


- David and Ryan: Costa Rica



And lastly: so it turns out I have some kin going on this trip. Jeff Stetznegger is my second-cousin in law. Eileen Low (spelling?), mom’s cousin, has a daughter who married Jeff’s brother… I think. Jeff, if that’s wrong, please help me out here.

Ended up being a late night.

No comments: